Thursday, February 06, 2014

Just like mom

Both boys have become avid readers, and we frequently go to the library to refresh their supply of books. Yesterday a friend gave Nate a copy of Willy Wonka to borrow. Nate and Alex hatched a plan where Nate would read the book then Alex would read the book.

I told them I did not like that plan because Nate's friend did not lend the book for them to keep it for so long. The new plan was for Nate to read it then return it and ask if Alex could borrow it. In the  meantime, I would reserve that book at the library for Alex to read.

Nate decided not to read it at bedtime, so Alex asked to read it. This morning Alex ran in and told me the entire plot of the book before I even had a chance to open my eyes. Apparently he stayed up until 11PM to finish the entire book. And... I was tired from staying up too late reading.

I think the lesson is there's no way to stop them from staying up too late reading if I haven't learned that lesson in 39 years myself?

9 comments:

Joanna said...

I think the lesson is that books are so awesome that the reward of reading them is worth being tired the next day.

Running Meg said...

Oh man, I am the same way. I simply can't put a good book down. I love that your boys do that!

Tracey said...

I think it's fantabulous that they love to read so much. I'm hoping my boys will be the same.

babywithatwist said...

Better to stay up late reading than watching TV or playing games! you have readers on your hands for sure :-)

Mommy, Esq. said...

I find this happening less frequently as I get older (the staying up late to finish a book) but it does happen!

The problem I have is once I finish a good book I'm so keyed up I HAVE to start another one.

Michele said...

This is the #1 reason I wish the girls could have separate bedrooms. I know there are times when they would like to stay up later, but I can't have them keeping the other one up.

erinlaughs said...

Every night I tell myself I'm going to put my book down and not stay up too late and every morning I'm exhausted from staying up too late! Gotta love book lovers.

DesiDVM said...

J's bed is filled with books (he has a bunk bed). They're stuffed down into the sides between the bed & railing. He won't let me take them out because he needs his "stash" (his words). I remember doing the exact same thing.

Susan said...

Hahaha! My mom STILL thinks I'm afraid of the dark because I wanted my lamp left on at night to read. It was the only way she'd let me leave it on if she thought I was scared.