Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Can I say this out loud? (or really quietly?)

I am so so so so so tired right now of all the questions from the boys.

Believe me, I totally get it. Kids ask about 14,000 questions by the time they are age 6. That is 14,000 opportunities to teach them rather than avoiding a question. We have two, at the same time. Age 3 and 4 was crazy with questions but age 5? About to drive me LOCO. They feed off each other with the questions.

It doesn't help that Jon and I are both engineers. We just can't bring ourselves to say we don't know an answer when we do know the answer. Why is the sky blue? Lesson in optics. How people got on earth? Hello, big bang theory and evolution. Why is that ambulance loud then quiet? Welcome to the doppler effect. Yes, my 5 year olds walk around explaining that sound is a wave.

But... we are also introverted engineers. And it finally happened. I finally cracked this weekend and told the boys the rest of dinner was a NO QUESTION DINNER. Because as much as I love the inquisitiveness and helping them understand the world, mama needs some freaking quiet once in a freaking while.

9 comments:

Beth said...

Amen Sister!

Lindsay said...

Amen.

Goddess in Progress said...

SERIOUSLY. I'm in the midst of the four-year-old version, and holy crap. I'm a hardcore extrovert, and it still becomes entirely too much by the end of the day. And, of course, M is also an engineer who simply cannot NOT explain things. Dinner and bedtime conversations get pretty crazy.

Joanna said...

As far as problems with twins goes, this is a good one to have. But yes, I can totally see how it's a problem based on having one questioner. The idea of him having someone to feed off of with the questions is scary.

The good news is that as your boys learn to read, a nice lesson in how to research a topic will allow you to defer some of the questions to Google.

Olusola said...

Ok, this is scary. I'm an introverted chemical engineer married to an electrical engineer. Is this my future staring me in the face?! :)

Tanika Davis said...

HELLS yes! This right here is why I deemed you my parenting guru all those many months ago. Mama needs some freakin' quiet!! Just every once in a while is all we're asking here. Please! I know this is my future; even though we're not engineers (by any stretch) we ARE both writers, and so we have no idea how to answer anything succinctly. LOL.

Anandi said...

HAHAHA. AskMoxie had a post about this a few months ago with a lot of great strategies on how to shut it down without making them feel bad.

That's totally going to be me. I'm already tired of the "What xxx doing?" questions and this is just the tip of the iceberg :)

I can't imagine having it in stereo!

Cacey said...

I say "I don't know" A LOT. My kid is going to think I'm really stupid when he grows up.

Wiley said...

How'd they take that?!?