Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I like big prints and I can not lie

Oh Pinterest, you devil.

I've started to only check Pinterest once a week or so. After returning from Phoenix I was excited to see a new craft. A craft I could do. A craft right up my alley. Turning your photos into 3 foot tall prints. (Here's the tutorial.)

YES.

Jon set off on this adventure with me last night, sans kids. First up - a huge print. Apparently you can go to any OfficeMax or print shop and ask for an engineer's print. For $4, I got a 36"x24" print on paper (NOT photo paper).

The OfficeMax guy said I had a nice camera to take photos like that
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then we were to head to a hardware store to get foam board. Guess what? Not 1, not 2, not 3 but FIVE employees told us the wrong location of foam board. And it would have been so helpful to know that foamboard is THIS BIG (Jon is 6'4"):

Foam board


Jon: "This will never fit in the car."
Laura: "Oh it will fit. It MUST fit."
At the car
Laura: "This doesn't even come close to fitting in the car."
Jon: "Yep."

So we broke it in half and squeezed it into the back seat. How has Jon not tired of my antics after the last 12 years? I don't know.

Then I huffed some spray glue in the garage and made these:

Prints


I still need to trim the edges and paint them. I thought I might use them in my office. BUT? These prints are TOO SMALL.

Prints02


These will go on the third floor and I'm back to the drawing board with what to do with that office wall. Maybe I will get inspired if I huff some more spray glue and troll Pinterest.

8 comments:

Carrie77 said...

Hmmm. Bet he was glad his work trip got canceled after all of that fun. ;) Did that pinterest crockpot chicken noodle soup ever turn out ok?

Jaime said...

Awesome! Looks like yours turned out better than my attempt. For whatever reason my pic keeps wrinkling up! What spray adhesive did you use?!

Love the pics by the way! Cute, CUTE kiddos. :)

Joanna said...

Bahaha!!!! They are too small. Classic.

Also, good thing you're camera is such a great photographer. Imagine what you could do if you actually invested time and energy in learning how to take good photos ; 0

Beth said...

Awesome! Did you see Young House Love today by any chance?

Brooke* said...

built ins. that wall needs built ins sista. it's screaming put shelves all over me...

Amy L said...

Okay, now I'm going to have to try it. I've been wanting several large prints for Claire's room but don't want to spend a lot.

BTW, that is a huge wall. :) We have a 24x36 canvas in our living room over the piano, but it doesn't look nearly that small in there.

Anandi said...

ooh, LOVE. I am still avoiding Pinterest because I fear it'll just add to my to do list, which is already a mile long.

Do you know someone with an enclosed trailer? Then you could get the BIG foam board in one piece?

Or, couldn't you glue the print to the cut foamboard? You might have a bit of a seam, but depending on how thick the paper is, it might not be too bad. OR, get another sheet of some thicker paper to cover the foamboard first, which may help cover the seam, *then mount the photo on top? Just ideas.

Brenda said...

Great Idea!! thank you for sharing! can I ask what camera do you have? Thanks!