Tuesday, October 25, 2011

One of those days

First day back to school after track out.
Arguing over what to wear as soon I open my eyes.
Jon out of town.
Being up early but rushing rushing rushing to get everyone out the door on time.
Work work work for 8 hours, crazy busy at work.

Pick up boys. Cook dinner. Eat. Clean up dinner. Realize there's homework.

Homework includes the usual practice pages and reading. AND a special "go for a walk and collect leaves to bring in tomorrow." It's not even leaf drop here yet. No leaves in our neighborhood. Also we have a Fall Fun List and have been saving this to do with Jon. Who is out of town.

Drive to the greenway. Kids bicker over the leaves. I pull leaves off the trees and suck up as much of a positive attitude as I can. (iphone pictures with PicFrame uploaded to Instagram):

Homework


Trip out of the house means we have to rush homework. Rush bathtime. Rush reading time. Rush bedtime. Lots of yelling. Starting the day rushing, ending the day rushing, with a mile-long to-do list after they go to bed.

Laundry. More dishes. Pick up the house and find this among the homework pages and artwork:

Found


Laugh my butt off. Realize life will never slow down so I should find my zen in the chaos.

Glass of red wine, Trader Joe's chocolate covered potato chips, Good Wife.

ZEN.

9 comments:

Beth said...

Who'd of thought that two kids in school could be harder sometimes than two infants or two toddlers? Not me! Thanks for sharing this; we're having lots of those days right now!

Cynthia said...

I am laughing SO hard at this because...BOYS! I found a paper among A&B's things that had "butt" written all over it. Seriously? haha!

Joanna said...

I so totally love that POOP made your day.

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

I am glad I am not the only one who finds the boys CONSTANT potty talk kind of funny. I think I have the sense of humor of a 4 year old boy or something.

Sometimes I even throw a poo or butt into a story to shamelessly get a laugh.

I am glad you found your zen in the chaos. AND chocolate covered potato chips???? When I get some of this weight off I'll have to splurge and sample some of those. :)

Lesley Barr Photography said...

Love love love!

JenFen said...

The poop page is hysterical, especially after you were talking about keeping the boys engaged in their homework by using examples or sentences with the word poop. Haha!

And yeah, it's Red Ribbon Week, Tuesday was hobo day, they decide to send home a note Monday stating it was changed to Career Day. Great, Jake already has his Marine uniform (still hoping he changes his mind between 7 and 18) but Jadyn wants to be an art teacher = impromptu trip to Wal-Mart and sewing and painting an art apron for her. Grrr on last minute notice.

We have had SO many days were we start off rushing in the morning because I have to be at the school too and we end up rushing in the evening because of homework and soccer. You have to find your zen in the chaos. Mine is whatever shows have been DVRed that night, ice cream and reading until I pass out.

Bless you with two the same age and hubby out of town on top of it all.

Beth said...

Poop was the first word William wrote all by himself. Hysterical. Your world sounds soooo much like my world. Here's to zen!

Tanika Davis said...

STILL laughing about this, two days later!! LOL!

Bathroom obsession must start early: Whenever I get ready to leave the boys to go upstairs for something, Dean asks, "Pee-pee?" And if I say, "No, Mommy has to go find her shoes," or some such, he says, "PEE-PEE?!?!" in a way that lets me know that that is the only right answer. So I say, "Yes, baby. Mommy has to go pee-pee." Ans he is so happy about it! I just hope he doesn't do that when company's over. Egads.

Ann said...

Laura, I think your biggest mistake was having that glass of wine AFTER you finished everything. My advice to you is have one before kids get home from school (and another one later, of course), everything will go much easier :-). Yes, having a child might have turned me into an alcoholic, but I don't care.