This is what happens when you grow up at Siesta Key as your local beach (ranked this year as the #1 beach in the US). Fine white sand with beautiful crystal clear warm water. Visited MANY southern and northern California beaches- not impressed with the cold water and tarry sand. Visited Greek, Italian, Spanish, and French beaches - too rocky and dirty sand. Visited Hawaiian beaches - these come close to the perfection of gulf coast beaches, but not quite good enough.
So imagine my surprise when I came home from our local LAKE beach trip this morning as a TRAITOR. I think I may like lake beaches better than ocean beaches... with children.
(Pics with Canon Powershot G12)
* Fresh water means no salty hands, no salty hair, no salty water in mouth, no salt water stinging eyes, and no salty water all over electronics
* Man made beach means no mucky bottom
* No worries about stingrays, sharks, jellyfish, seaweed, open cuts getting salt water in them. You can just get in the water and enjoy it!
* No big waves or big drop offs to worry about kids drowning
* Still get to enjoy the awesome pine forest of this part of the country while at the beach! So... plenty of shade.
BEST PART? 20 minutes door to door to our nearest awesome lake beach. It's only lunchtime and I already spent 3 hours at the beach today. And for the first hour, we were the only ones there.
Basically the only thing keeping the Triangle from being the 100% completely perfect place for me was the distance to the ocean. Now that I've discovered the awesomeness of lake beaches, looks like I'll be 100% happy in our forever home. And for that, I don't mind being a traitory traitor.