Monday, November 01, 2010

October round-up

October was AWESOMELY CRAZY.
  • Vegas trip with my Babycenter ladies and met Lesley
  • Professional photo shoot with Cathy
  • Family DC/PA trip to meet Maria and do Warrior Dash
  • North Carolina state fair
  • No abnormal skin spots!!!!!
  • Closed on new house
  • Star Wars Halloween in new house
Remember way back in March when I shared my Mondo list? That wasn't the complete list. Those were 36 things from the list I felt comfortable sharing in this space. The list also included some other things I thought would not happen for a few years:
  • Own a home large enough to host family holidays and groups of friends
  • Own a home with lots of natural light and an open floor plan
  • Have a space at home for creating portraits
There are so many things I love about our new home but when I saw the four huge southwest-facing windows spanning the second bonus, I went from "love" and "ME WANT!!!"

Here are some comparison shots. I took this picture of Nate in our current house. He is facing our picture window in the brightest room of the house at the brightest time of day. I used our white dining table as a reflector and STILL I had to shoot at ISO 640 to get my shot and the paint in the room gives off a slightly yellow glow.

NateOldHouse


New house, he can stand anywhere in that entire room (and no reflector) for the majority of the day... and ISO 125. Do you likey???

NateNewHouse


And the room color, wow. It is going to be a great backdrop! I predict some awesome self portraits in this room.

AlexNewHouse2


I jokingly refer to it as "my studio" because there are going to be a buttload of pictures taken here. If you visit and I force you to go to the second floor bonus to take your picture, this is why!

AlexNewHouse

There are some great things planned for November (moving Thursday!) then I've got to slow down in December or I might fall apart from the stress.

PS. People who know about photography, I went CRAZY with the defog for these pictures as I am playing around trying to determine how much defog I like. Too much here? Not enough?

8 comments:

HeatherV said...

Yes, I likey, Wow what incredible light and the idea of not sharing your office with a treadmill, kid toys, uh Jon. SWEET!

I'm picturing a trunk of props like feather boas (not) or those age block thingys (also a big not)

I'll try to swing by Thurs briefly. You may have to physically remove me from the mudroom.

Yay to a clean report. I must have missed this big ol news last week.

Kara said...

Wow, what a busy month indeed!

Love the pictures. I think they look great! I know nothing about photography though so I can't answer your question.

Lesley Barr Photography said...

Love love love!! And yes, still jealous over here. =) Defog is my friend...I run mine at about 50%. I do not like the over sharpened look, and I think yours look perfect. Sharp enough without going crazy.

Amy L said...

Oh, I'm so jealous of the light! We only have a couple of rooms with decent natural light, but also the previous owners of our house had the ceilings painted the same color as our walls, so I get horrible color casts when I try to bounce the flash off the ceiling - especially in our blood red dining room. Ugh.

Midwest Mommy said...

I love it when I find a sweet spot to take pictures! That lighting is awesome.

Julie said...

That last photo of Alex was SO clear that I thought his little owie on his face was fuzz on my computer screen--I actually tried to wipe it off my screen--LOL!

Joanna said...

Light is one of the most important requirements I have for a house and based on the gorgeous light in those pictures, ME WANT!

Also, I've realized that it's a good thing Alex isn't my child. There is no way I could ever say "no" to those eyes.

cathy said...

I am so jealous of your gorgeous light! I am still searching for the perfect light!!

Congrats my friend. Congrats!!