Monday, November 16, 2009

To the mountains

With Jon traveling so much for work, it's difficult to get out and see my friends on a regular basis. Earlier this year I had an ah-ha moment: the mountains must come to mohammed. I asked a few girlfriends if they would be interested in watching So You Think You Can Dance with me every week while eating dessert and drinking wine since Jon is typically gone on Wednesdays. Eventually we stopped watching SYTYCD and focused our time on chatting and eating. In the six months we've been doing this, we've all had significant life changes- pregnancy, job loss, new house, medical problems - and it's been nice to have this weekly time to blow off steam and/or celebrate.

We thought it would be fun to go on a girls' weekend together so this weekend, we rented a house in the Appalachians. Each morning, we woke up to chat in front of this view:

View

We lucked out with a sunny warm weekend that enabled us to sit on the deck all morning drinking coffee and chatting. The house was secluded and spacious (and the the non-preggos were able to enjoy the hot tub in the background):

Deck

We walked and shopped and talked and stayed up way too late and OH MY WE ATE:

Food

I feel incredibly lucky to have so many strong, smart, fun, opinionated, amazing women to enrich my life. Thank you all for coming to the mountains, both this weekend and every week.

Ladies

(And the obligatory timer shot even though I love the shot above of everyone laughing so much more):

AllLadies

13 comments:

Mrs. Merriman said...

Looks like SO much fun & very well deserved! You are a lucky girl :)

Stacey said...

I'd be interested in knowing how you met such wonderful friends after you moved to Raleigh. I'm sure you were in the same position as my husband since you work from home - hard to get out and meet people! Looks like you all had a wonderful time.

Beth said...

Dude--I love the picture quality on Flickr, but I hate it because I can't see your dang pictures at work. Sigh. Sounds like an awesome weekend, though. Glad you had great weather and fun!

Joanna said...

Have you ever noticed that the people in your pictures are normally either smiling or laughing? I hope you realize you have a lot to do with that fact.

Irene said...

Looked like a great getaway. At first I was very impressed that you cooked that amazing food, then realized it was a restaurant. I guess that wouldn't be a vacation!

London said...

How fun!

This is so random, but I was bored and watching "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader" the other day during lunch and the question was "On which continent are the Appalachian mountains located?" The woman responded, "I'm pretty sure they're in South America."

Where did you guys go? We spent our honeymoon in Pigeon Forge and this place looks similar.

Carrie77 said...

I would LOVE a girls weekend! How fun! Great shots!

HeatherV said...

Love the comment, "the mountains must come to mohammed"

I wish I could say the country ham biscuits and the 15.00 dollars of candy I bought at the General Store were the best part.

I think you would know that friendships trump food.

Katie F said...

It was a fabulous weekend. Ahh, I'm missing the hot tub!
I ate a piece of PB toast for dinner last night b/c I was still SO full from lunch.

Looking forward to the next girls weekend!

Threeundertwo said...

What a gorgeous view! Congratulations on getting some high-quality girl time in.

Megan said...

Fantastic! So glad that you create these times for yourself and others! It looks like a blast! Girls weekends are the best. So glad you all could enjoy the mountains and each other!

Sandra said...

I am so impressed with how much you do, to feed your soul, to have good friends, to be well rounded - wow. You will be a happier person and a better mom as a result.
The weekend looks great!

Steph said...

Looks like a beautiful setting to share some great girl time!