Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Another milestone: first movie in a theater

On the potty training front, we have had lots of #2 issues. With the traveling, swim diapers, and transition to the new classroom, we've had regressions and problems. Nate had a major breakthrough and filled up his sticker chart, so we told him he could get a new toy or go to a movie in a theater. We watched previews online (again, what did parents do before the internet?!) and he chose "Up."

I took him last night and it was just as fun for me as it was for him. On the way there, he talked a mile a minute. He was so excited about getting tickets, getting candy and popcorn, and the enormous screen. The hardest part was getting him to whisper when the movie was on. I lost count of the number of times he yelled out something in excitement. I couldn't believe how much better it made the movie to see it all for the first time through his eyes. Afterwards he talked a mile a minute on the way home and told me he was going to get another sticker chart and fill it up to see another movie.

Music to my ears!

The movie was wonderful. I cried twice and Nate was so enthralled by the big screen he didn't notice. He had to use the restroom during the long fight scene at the end, which worked out perfect since he was getting scared. On the walk to the bathroom, Nate asked why the people were hitting each other with sticks and I was so proud he made it to 3 years 4 months without knowing what a sword fight is. I know he won't keep this innocence forever so it was a touching moment.

It will probably be a long time before Alex sees a movie in a theater. He is so sensitive that he breaks down into sobs when there is even a hint of scary music. And there is no way Alex will see Up in the theater, it was too scary for him. This made the date night with Nate even sweeter, knowing it was a special event for just the two of us.

For locals, we went to the dollar theater just south of the fairgrounds. Turns out Tuesday is recession night at the concession stand! It was $7 for two tickets, a popcorn, a drink, and candy. If you're considering going to a movie but not sure how your kids will do, I would recommend this venue.

10 comments:

Joanna said...

Wow, you had a great night with Nate and you did it for cheap. That's impressive. I'm glad you two got to share such a special event in his life.

As for the sword fight. The first thing I noticed when I walked into the house on Sunday was a set of foam swords and two nerf guns.

Megan said...

How awesome! That IS a really sweet date night. I love the squeals of excitement that preschoolers expel! Yahoo! I haven't been to a movie in a theather in about three years...coincidental? I think not. :) So glad you have a great time!!

Michele said...

I'm glad it went so well. We took the girls to see Up the weekend it came out. I cried big time. It was their second movie (Polar Express at the IMAX being their first).

I can't wait until Disney's Princess and the Frog comes out at Christmas time.

HeatherV said...

Great post and how fun for each parent to have a date night with each child. What did Alex and Jon do?

We also did Up when it hit the dollar theater and Ben loved it (minus the dog scenes that scared him)

Even I (born without the gene for enjoying children's programing) found it entertaining as Pixar knows how to include an adult theme among with all the animation.

Yay to a fun and cheap "date" night.

DesiDVM said...

J LOVED "Up" when we saw it at the drive-in. We still haven't gotten up the nerve to take him to a real sit-down theater though...maybe I'll take him on a "date" this week since it's probably our last "Mommy and J" Friday for awhile...

Quadmama said...

I'm so glad you had a fun and inexpensive night out with Nate. The first movie outing is a huge milestone! We've been waiting for "Up" to come out on DVD so I'm glad to have some warning about the fight scene.

Steph said...

How cool that things went so well. This is one activity I look forward to doing with Cooper, but he's much more on the Alex side of this issue so I think it will be a while.

Beth said...

What a great date! William and Alex seem so much alike. I'm not sure when he'll be able to sit through a movie in a theater. Even if there are no scary parts in a movie, William will make them up. He did, however, surprise me last weekend by going on several amusement rides by himself. So maybe all is not lost!

Karen said...

They had free movies here this summer in the mornings. My mom took Michael to a few and he did really well. Which surprised me immensely!

Carrie77 said...

I still haven't taken Nathan to see a movie yet but a lot of people I know have taken their 3 yr olds to Up! I am glad he did great..I am sure the concession stand will be Nathan's favorite part.haha