Sunday, August 23, 2009

Old friend, new baby, lots of wine, and MICHAEL CHIARELLO

The older I get, the more I realize how important it is to have old friends, the friends who knew you when you were younger and crazier and less of an adult. I am lucky to have so many close female friends. Ann (along with Irene) falls into a special category of amazing, talented, strong women who I've known through years and years of ups and downs.

(All shots are SOOC shots as holy crap, I forgot how long it takes to fly from San Fran to Raleigh and I had three special boys waiting for me at home. Editing can wait.)

IMG_8526


Ann recently had her first baby, a sweet little boy named Lucas. During my own newborn time with my boys, I often called Ann while pumping asking her to tell me about the "real world." And that is when female friendship started to become even more important to me - when I realized that sometimes, you need your women friends around to you to boost you up in the ways only they know how. That is why I will treasure this trip, because I got a chance to sit with Ann and her baby and talk about every detail about life as a new mom, together as friends who've known each other (eeek) for 17 years.

I think motherhood suits her well.

IMG_8547


It seems so small, to walk with a mom and her newborn in Golden Gate Park, checking out the Rose Garden and talking. But growing into a mother has made me realize those small moments are often the Very Big Moments. Those are usually the Moments that stay with us for much, much longer than the ones we plan and hope for.


IMG_8550


We started our visit with a truly spectacular day - in Napa, drinking wine, talking and laughing and talking. Then we drank more wine and talked and laughed and then drank more wine. The greatest gift was being able to do this without husbands, without kids, without other friends around. Just a chance for the two of us to catch up as we have not done in a decade. It was a true delight.


IMG_8538


And because I was so giddy and so relaxed and so myself, when we were dining at Bottega I stopped Michael Chiarello to say hello, to introduce him to my old friend with a new baby, and brag that she was having her first night away. Ann was speechless, Michael was gracious (and yummy!), the food was spectacular, and we'll never forget eating his food while talking to him.

Of course, I proved that people never change and I am just as Crazy as I have always been. Hopefully when we're in our 80s, we'll still be debating whether I'm Crazy or whether she's crazy to not be Crazy.

IMG_8529

15 comments:

Joanna said...

Yessss! That was what I was waiting for. Except, I was hoping to learn what delicious food you ordered from the restaurant!
I'm glad you had memorable time with an old friend. That's important.

Carrie77 said...

Great post... so true! Those grapes look delicious... your friend looks great as a new Mom! Her baby is adorable!

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

Glad that the wknd was great!

Beth said...

This is the greatest line ever: "But growing into a mother has made me realize those small moments are often the Very Big Moments. Those are usually the Moments that stay with us for much, much longer than the ones we plan and hope for." Truer words were never spoken. So glad you had an awesome trip. I bet the boys were so happy to see you when you returned!

Joanna said...

It sounds like you had some very big moments this weekend. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and got to spend some precious time just being Laura.

(As for being crazy when you are 80? I think we all know how that's going to turn out.)

Helen said...

I'm glad to hear that Michael Chiarello was gracious, because he got real pompous on "Top Chef Masters"

Megan said...

yeah! What great shots! What a great time. So lovely to spend that time with women friends. I continue to crave this! So happy for you to get away. And hello? She looks beatiful- I look like a total slump as a new mom! So glad you could reconnect.

Amy L said...

Photos are gorgeous - it looks like a fabulous trip! And I'm glad to hear that Chiarello was pleasant as I didn't have the most favorable impression of him after Top Chef Masters.

bb and mtb said...

The last picture is absolutely lovely.

Irene said...

Welcome back! Nice pics, sounds like a great trip. Ann looks great too. And thanks for the mention, but do I really need to be publicly associated with your craziness?! :)

Ann said...

It was fantastic! Thank you for flynig all the way from NC!!!!

Mike and Jill said...

Glad you had a great trip! Girlfriend time is so important.
And I'm not biased when it comes to SF-at all! :)
j

Quadmama said...

I'm glad you had a nice, relaxing trip! Too funny that you stopped Michael Chiarello...

Steph said...

What a great weekend!

I can just smell the 'new baby' smell looking at the pictures of your friend's baby. Miss that about newborns.

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

All of you Flikr people are driving me bonkers! :) I can't see the photos at work since the site is blocked.

What a great trip! I love San Fran. Brook lived in Bizerkely for a bit and I loved visiting him so that I could walk around the city!

P.S. What did you eat at MC's?