Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A day in the life, now with more marshmallow!

People often ask me how I get so much done, so I thought I would write this blog post to tell everyone my secret: I stay up way way way too late when Jon is gone. Here was my day, from start to finish:

Wake up boys at 6:30 to take Roxane to the airport. Get boys to eat and change them for the car ride. Drive in torrential rain, hit Starbucks drive-through, then drop off boys at day care.

Get home, change into running clothes and hit the treadmill for an hour while watching 2 episodes of Weeds. Work all day with 30 minute lunch break to shower, eat lunch, and change Alex's sheet where his overnight pullup leaked.

At 5PM, pack dinner for the boys. Pick them up from day care, give them food to eat and tell them if they are good at Target while I'm buying overnight diapers for Alex I will let them eat a marshmallow on the way home. Talk to boys in car, then hit Target, hit grocery store, give the boys marshmallows for car ride home.

Unpack boys when I get home and really try not to get pissed about this. REALLY try. I knew Alex was too quiet with that marshmallow.


What's that you say? Perhaps the profile picture will show you that Alex rubbed marshmallow ALL OVER his face. Sticky wet marshmallow.


I could almost laugh about it until I saw his legs. HIS LEGS. I totally see why you would want wet marshallow on your face but your KNEES?!

Clean off Alex. Unpack car. Boys were still hungry when we got home so make them bowls of cereal and fruit. Bath, books, bed for boys.

Microwave some leftover pasta for myself to eat while watching an episode of Weeds and decompressing.

Get up to unload groceries, unload Target purchases, unload dishwasher, load and rerun dishwasher, do two loads of laundry including folding and putting away, talk to my sister, talk to my friend, talk to Jon, take out trash and recycling, pick up the house, make to-do list for next day. Do all of this (except phone calls) while catching up on NPR podcasts.

Write blog post. Go upstairs to bed at midnight and read until I drop my book.

11 comments:

Mike and Jill said...

Laura, you are seriously impressive! I can't get this much done when we're tag teaming!
And we've never given M&J marshmallows. Hmmmm. Adding to the list.

Joanna said...

I must be more of a "the glass is half full" kind of person than I though. When I saw the marshmallow pictures all I could think was that at least it wasn't in his hair.

Bren said...

Wow! You are super energy girl! I'm mostly impressed that after you did the two loads of laundry they actually got put away! I have a basket upstairs from Sunday that is still waiting to be emptied!

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

I'm adding marshmallows to my "things that are SCARY" list!

I am impressed at all you accomplish!

Anonymous said...

Yes, pretty much the typical lifestyle of most working mom's with toddlers. And the marshmellow pics crack me up. I was thinking "sticky" when you mentioned it earlier in your blog. Way to sticky for new car =)

Beth said...

It's the multiple errands with kids in tow that does me in. I can do ONE errand after work (stop at the grocery store if i HAVE to), but going to Target AND the grocery store--that's impressive! NOT losing your temper with Alex--even more impressive!

Quadmama said...

I'm with Joanna... my first thought was hey it's not in his hair. It reminded me of our breakfast yesterday. My girls had waffles with peanut butter and one of them ended up with peanut butter on her feet. What???

Mommy, Esq. said...

At least then you have weekends free with no chores, right? That's the unfortunate thing in our household - with both of us working more than full time we have to work after kids go to bed so chores have to get done on weekends. I'm not looking forward to when the kids drop that AM nap. You do need more sleep though! I think that's why I haven't been able to blog - sleep needs. I am beyond impressed about exercising - I think that is easier to do since you work at home, right? I should make myself do that when I work from home after the kids go down for their AM naps.

DesiDVM said...

Your day sounds so similar to mine, only now that I'm pregnant it's more like, "Unload dishwasher, do a couple of loads of laundry, and then become lazy/tired and not put 2nd load of dishes or clothes away, become frustrated over the weekend at lack of dishes and piles of clean unfolded clothes all over the place." Oh boy I can't wait until we have two...

Julie said...

Geez, that last big paragraph alone could literally take me all day, not a couple of hours! Especially with all the talking on the phone. Wow girl, you are indeed energetic!

Whitney {RookieMoms.com} said...

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Wait! You own a treadmill? So smart.