Saturday, January 31, 2009

Perfect mashed sweet potatoes

(Normally I would put this on my other blog but the recipe is too good not to share!)

In our attempts to eat as much local food as possible, it has become clear that we need some solid sweet potato recipes. Sweet potatoes are a year-round staple in North Carolina and the organic sweet potatoes we get through our CSA are unbelievable. While I LOVE Pioneer Woman, her mashed sweet potato recipe includes an incredible amount of sugar and butter.

I have been hanging on to this Cook's Illustrated recipe in my "must make" recipe folder since November 2002(!) and I finally made it last night. It is PERFECT: only one step in the process (cut everything up, throw in pot, and turn on heat), very little sugar, very little butter, and it tastes unbelievable. It was the perfect amount of mashed sweet potatoes for the four of us. The simplicity of the recipe let the flavor of the sweet potatoes shine through.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes by Cook's Illustrated

4 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
2 lbs sweet potatoes (2 large or 3 medium), peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices

1. Combine everything in saucepan. Cook covered over low (to medium) heat, stirring occasionally until potatoes fall apart when poked with fork, 35 to 45 minutes.
2. Off heat, mash potatoes. Serve!

The recipe also includes variations such as maple-orange and indian-spiced but this was so good I could eat it every day.

4 comments:

Sadia said...

I just picked up some sweet potatoes today to try your recipe. My girls seem less averse to orange vegetables that others, so I have hope. :)

Ramirez Family said...

That sounds great! I love sweet potatoes but unfortunately Albert doesn't so I don't make them often. Cook's Illustrated is the best, isn't it?

Sadia said...

Update - I made these for dinner. Yum! Unfortunately, the girls refused to try them. 15 exposures, right?

erinlaughs said...

Making these tonight! I'm excited to try them!